Wednesday, February 13, 2008

FINALLY!!!!!



I've ruined so many baked goods these last few months. With the demise of so many cookies and cakes I was bound to be successful one of these times - so the desire to succeed never left. Earlier this week, one of the fabulous Nesties on the What's Cooking board posted the recipe for America's Test Kitchen fluffy yellow cake. I was immediately drawn to this recipe for a few reasons. 1. I've become a huge fan of the ATK recipes because they always work out for me. 2. My husband loves plain old yellow cake. 3. I still had to have a little success with my baking this week!!

And so it was meant to be, and I'm so proud to say that this cake did not fall flat on me! Which is what usually happens when I bake cake/cupcakes anymore.

I was so ecstatic that I had to post the pictures of this gorgeous yellow cake before I even iced it. I'm 100% confident that it's going to taste amazing, too!

I baked it in a 9x13 pan for transporting ease as I'll be taking this cake into work with me tomorrow - and it took a perfect 35 minutes to bake up.

FLUFFY YELLOW CAKE
Source: America's Test Kitchen

Nonstick cooking spray can be used for greasing the pans (proceed with flouring as directed).
Bring all ingredients to room temperature before beginning.
Makes two 9-inch cake layers.

2 1/2 cups cake flour , plus extra for dusting pans
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1 3/4 cups sugar (12 1/4 ounces)
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter , melted and cooled slightly
1 cup buttermilk , room temperature
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 large egg yolks , room temperature
3 large egg whites , room temperature
-----
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch-wide by 2-inch-high round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper. Grease paper rounds, dust pans with flour, and knock out excess. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 1/2 cups sugar together in large bowl. In 4-cup liquid measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and yolks.

2. In clean bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites at medium-high speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. With machine running, gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar; continue to beat until stiff peaks just form, 30 to 60 seconds (whites should hold peak but mixture should appear moist). Transfer to bowl and set aside.

3. Add flour mixture to now-empty mixing bowl fitted with whisk attachment. With mixer running at low speed, gradually pour in butter mixture and mix until almost incorporated (a few streaks of dry flour will remain), about 15 seconds. Stop mixer and scrape whisk and sides of bowl. Return mixer to medium-low speed and beat until smooth and fully incorporated, 10 to 15 seconds.

4. Using rubber spatula, stir 1/3 of whites into batter to lighten, then add remaining whites and gently fold into batter until no white streaks remain. Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans. Lightly tap pans against counter 2 or 3 times to dislodge any large air bubbles.

5. Bake until cake layers begin to pull away from sides of pans and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen cakes from sides of pans with small knife, then invert onto greased wire rack and peel off parchment. Invert cakes again and cool completely on rack, about 1 1/2 hours.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be a silly question, but does this come out moist and fluffy like a box mix? My DH is obsessed with the yellow box cake and I have yet to be able to recreate it at home!

Linds said...

Yum, that looks delicious Tricia!!

Sarah said...

Yeah for success!! :)

Jaime said...

congrats on your successful yellow cake!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking to make this forever and your desciption and recipe inspired me to use this recipe for my cake for class this week. Thanks! I can't wait to eat it all! It smells like heaven!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking to make this forever and your desciption and recipe inspired me to use this recipe for my cake for class this week. Thanks! I can't wait to eat it all! It smells like heaven!

Kayte said...

omg i LOVED this recipe. it's so delicious!

Anonymous said...

This is the BEST 'from scratch' cake (something to that can be used for a birthday cake) recipe. Also better an any box mix. I am very happy to have finally found a recipe that does not turn out heavy and dense as a brick! Thank you so much for posting this recipe!

Anonymous said...

Where is the frosting recipe?

Unknown said...

Seriously awesome! I tried it and it lives up to the reputation - super fluffy and delicious. Egg whites make all the difference. Didn't have buttermilk but used a mix of whole milk, heavy cream, and lemon, to sour it. Did just the trick. Thanks for the recipe!